Game of Thrones, the popular fantasy TV series based on George R.R. Martin’s novels, has captivated audiences around the world with its stunning visuals and intricate storytelling. One of the most visually striking aspects of the show is the elaborate costumes worn by the cast. From the regal gowns of the noble ladies to the rugged armor of the warriors, each character’s costume is a work of art in itself.
Whether it’s the iconic fur cloak of Jon Snow or the flowing dresses of Daenerys Targaryen, the costumes in Game of Thrones help to bring the story to life and transport viewers to the fantastical world of Westeros. The attention to detail in each costume is evident, from the intricate embroidery to the unique accessories that reflect the character’s personality and status.
Throughout the series’ eight seasons, the costumes have played a crucial role in helping to establish the identity of each character. Whether it’s the fierce warrior Brienne of Tarth or the cunning Cersei Lannister, every costume tells a story and adds depth to the characters’ portrayal.
In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the most memorable costumes from Game of Thrones and explore how they contribute to the visual spectacle of the show. From the extravagant outfits worn by the royalty to the battle-ready armor of the soldiers, each costume is a testament to the skill and creativity of the costume designers and artists who brought the world of Westeros to life.
Royal Attire: The Regal Costumes of the Kings and Queens
Fashion Fit for a King
The costumes worn by the kings in Game of Thrones are nothing short of grand and regal. Each king’s attire is designed to reflect their individual personalities and status.
For instance, Robert Baratheon, the former king, was known for his love of feasting and drinking. His costume features rich fabrics, elaborate embroidery, and fur accents, symbolizing his lavish lifestyle. In contrast, Stannis Baratheon, Robert’s younger brother, has a more somber and militaristic look, with his costume incorporating armor-like elements and a darker color palette.
Queens of Style
The costume designers for Game of Thrones made sure that the queens had outfits to match their powerful roles. Cersei Lannister, the ambitious queen, is often seen in form-fitting gowns that emphasize her beauty and cunning. Her costumes feature intricate details, such as beading and embroidery, to showcase her wealth and status.
Daenerys Targaryen, the Mother of Dragons, is known for her iconic attire, featuring flowing dresses and intricate braids. Her costumes are designed to reflect her journey from a timid princess to a powerful ruler, with each outfit evolving to represent her growing confidence and strength.
The attention to detail in the royal costumes is truly impressive. Intricate embroidery, luxurious fabrics, and ornate accessories are just some of the elements that make up these regal ensembles. No expense is spared in creating the lavish outfits worn by the kings and queens of Westeros.
A Visual Feast
Game of Thrones is known for its stunning visuals, and the costumes are no exception. The royal attire adds an extra layer of grandeur and authenticity to the show, transporting viewers to a world of kings, queens, and knights. Whether it’s the flowing gowns of the queens or the armor of the kings, the costumes in Game of Thrones truly bring the characters to life.
Warriors and Knights: Armor and Weapons from the Seven Kingdoms
The world of Game of Thrones is filled with fierce warriors and skilled knights, each hailing from one of the Seven Kingdoms. The costumes and weapons they don are a visual spectacle that adds depth and realism to the show.
- House Stark: The warriors of House Stark are known for their sturdy and practical leather armor. They prefer practicality over showmanship, with their armor providing protection and freedom of movement.
- House Lannister: The knights of House Lannister display a more ostentatious approach to armor, often adorned with gold accents and intricate designs. Their armor represents their wealth and pride.
- House Targaryen: The dragon riders of House Targaryen often wear scale armor to symbolize their connection with their dragons. Their armor is lightweight and flexible, allowing them to maneuver easily while riding their mounts.
- House Baratheon: The warriors of House Baratheon favor heavy plate armor, representing their strength and power. The sturdy construction provides excellent protection on the battlefield.
- House Tyrell: The knights of House Tyrell wear armor adorned with flowers and vines, reflecting their status as the rulers of the Reach. Their armor is elegant and beautiful, yet still provides adequate protection.
- House Greyjoy: The ironborn warriors of House Greyjoy wear armor made of iron, revealing their maritime culture. Their armor is rugged and functional, suitable for raiding and seafaring.
- House Martell: The soldiers of House Martell wear lightweight armor, designed for the scorching Dornish climate. Their armor is agile and allows for swift and precise movements.
- Valyrian Steel: Swords made from Valyrian steel are highly sought after. They are lightweight, incredibly sharp, and can slice through regular steel with ease. Many noble houses in the Seven Kingdoms possess Valyrian steel swords.
- Longswords: Traditional longswords are widely used by knights and warriors in Westeros. They are versatile weapons, suitable for both slashing and thrusting.
- Arakhs: Arakhs are curved swords commonly used by the Dothraki, a nomadic horse-riding warrior culture. They are designed for mounted combat and provide a greater range for cutting strikes.
- Pikes: Pikes are long spears often used by infantry units. They are effective in formation battles, providing reach and defense against cavalry charges.
- Tridents: As the symbol of House Greyjoy, tridents are widely used by the ironborn warriors. They are versatile weapons that can be used for both thrusting and slashing attacks.
- Longbows: Longbows are powerful ranged weapons, utilized by skilled archers. Their long range and piercing capability make them deadly on the battlefield.
- Dothraki Arakh Bows: The Dothraki horse archers use specially designed recurve bows, allowing them to shoot arrows while riding at high speeds.
- Round Shields: Round shields are commonly used by infantry units for protection. They vary in design and materials, depending on the region and house.
- Kite Shields: Kite shields are larger shields often used by knights on horseback. They provide better protection, especially against mounted attacks.
A Visual Spectacle
The combination of intricate armor designs and unique weapons brings the characters of Game of Thrones to life. The attention to detail in replicating the armor and weapons from the book series is apparent, creating a visual spectacle that enhances the immersive experience of the show.
Majestic Gowns and Robes: The Fashion of the Noble Ladies
The noble ladies of Game of Thrones are known for their stunning fashion choices. From intricate gowns to luxurious robes, the costumes of the female characters reflect their status and power within the Seven Kingdoms. Let’s take a closer look at some of the most majestic gowns and robes worn by these noble ladies:
Cersei Lannister: The Queen Regent
Cersei Lannister, portrayed by Lena Headey, is the epitome of elegance and power. Her regal gowns are often adorned with intricate embroidery and jeweled accents. The colors she wears, predominantly gold and crimson, reflect both her Lannister heritage and her position as the Queen Regent. Cersei’s gowns feature voluminous skirts, tailored bodices, and flowing sleeves that add to her commanding presence.
Daenerys Targaryen: The Mother of Dragons
Daenerys Targaryen, played by Emilia Clarke, is recognized for her iconic blue and silver gowns. Her costumes reflect her connection to House Targaryen and her transformation from a timid princess to the powerful Mother of Dragons. Daenerys’ dresses are often adorned with dragon-inspired embellishments, such as scales and wings. Her flowing robes and billowing capes create a sense of grandeur, emphasizing her status as a queen.
Margaery Tyrell: The Queen Consort
Margaery Tyrell, portrayed by Natalie Dormer, exudes elegance and grace in her gowns. Her costumes feature delicate floral patterns, reflecting her connection to House Tyrell. Margaery’s dresses are often form-fitting, highlighting her figure and femininity. She frequently wears high necklines and long sleeves, maintaining a sense of modesty and sophistication. The colors she wears, such as green and gold, reflect the bountiful and lush nature of the Reach.
Sansa Stark: The Lady of Winterfell
Sansa Stark, played by Sophie Turner, undergoes a significant transformation throughout the series, which is reflected in her costumes. Sansa’s gowns evolve from simple, modest dresses to more intricate and regal garments. As the Lady of Winterfell, her costumes feature heavier fabrics and fur accents, emphasizing the cold and harsh climate of the North. Sansa’s dresses often incorporate elements of House Stark, such as the direwolf sigil, showcasing her loyalty to her family and her home.
The fashion of the noble ladies in Game of Thrones is a visual spectacle in its own right. The majestic gowns and robes worn by characters such as Cersei Lannister, Daenerys Targaryen, Margaery Tyrell, and Sansa Stark convey their power, status, and individual stories. The intricacy and attention to detail in these costumes add another layer to the visually stunning world of the show.
How can I see pictures of the Game of Thrones cast in costume?
You can see pictures of the Game of Thrones cast in costume by searching online. There are many websites and fan pages dedicated to the show that have galleries of costume pictures. Additionally, you can also find pictures on social media platforms like Instagram and Twitter.
Are the costumes in Game of Thrones historically accurate?
No, the costumes in Game of Thrones are not historically accurate. The show is set in a fictional medieval world, so the costumes are designed to fit the aesthetic and style of that world. The costume designers draw inspiration from different historical periods and cultures, but they also take creative liberties to make the costumes more visually interesting.
Who is the costume designer for Game of Thrones?
Costume design for Game of Thrones is done by Michele Clapton. She has been the head designer for the show for the majority of its run, and her work has been highly praised. She has won several awards for her costume designs on the show, including Emmy Awards and Costume Designers Guild Awards.
Can I buy replicas of the Game of Thrones costumes?
Yes, you can buy replicas of the Game of Thrones costumes. There are several companies that specialize in creating replica costumes from the show, and you can find them online. However, these replicas can be quite expensive, as they are made with high-quality materials and attention to detail.
What is the significance of the costumes in Game of Thrones?
The costumes in Game of Thrones play a significant role in the storytelling of the show. They help to establish the characters’ personalities, social status, and cultural background. The costumes also reflect the different factions and houses in the show, with each having its unique styles and symbols. Additionally, the costumes help to transport the viewers into the world of the show and enhance the overall visual spectacle.
Do the actors have any input in the design of their costumes?
Yes, the actors on Game of Thrones do have some input in the design of their costumes. The costume designers work closely with the actors to develop their characters’ looks, taking into consideration their physical appearance, comfort, and the actors’ own ideas and preferences. The costumes are tailored to fit each actor individually and to reflect the character’s personality and journey throughout the show.
Are there any behind-the-scenes documentaries about the costumes on Game of Thrones?
Yes, there are behind-the-scenes documentaries and featurettes about the costumes on Game of Thrones. These documentaries provide an in-depth look at the costume design process, from concept to creation. They often include interviews with the costume designers, actors, and other members of the production team, as well as behind-the-scenes footage. You can find these documentaries on the DVD and Blu-ray releases of the show, as well as online.